Only the test of fire makes fine steel
In a letter Abraham Lincoln wrote to his son's teacher, a quote caught my attention: "Treat him gently, but do not cuddle him, because only the test of fire makes fine steel."
The transition from a mere school-girl to a full-fledged working adult is not an easy one. I learnt the hard way that working is not about earning money. It is about taking up huge responsibilities; about being accountable for every action; and perhaps most of all, about swallowing your pride.
The past nine weeks can be aptly described as "a period of searing pain" for me. Many things happened which disturbed me. Hurtful words have been said which caused me to be greatly shaken. However, looking back, I'm glad that somehow, I managed to pick myself up after every fall. If what I had gone through is "the test of fire", I certainly hope that by the tenth week, I can emerge as "fine steel".

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home