Dearly, Nearly, Sincerely
Adverbs tell us when and how
Like quickly do your homework now
They often help describe the verbs,
Like patiently plant peas and herbs.
Adverbs will frequently end in “l-y”
As in viciously, ultra-suspiciously sly
Adverbs add character, sizzle and fizz
To your phrase or your sentence, whatever it is
arply, my dad said to hand him a razor
Lightly, I asked him, “Did you see that laser?”
Frankly, this hot dog just couldn’t be better.
Sheepishly, Fred found he’d ruined his sweater.
If they tell us how, they’re an “adverb of manner,”
Like, slowly this summer, my sister got tanner.
Or, quietly sneak up to where she is sunning
And give her a squirt from the hose that is running.
“Frequency adverbs” will tell us how often,
Like, seldom have I seen a lovelier coffin.
Always eat cookies and never eat pine.
Sometimes, I’m nervous but usually fine.
Adverbs can help in explaining how much,
As in, this is extremely delightful to touch
.Or Johnny is somewhat afraid of the spider,
And Mickey has hardly been touching his cider.
They give us a time, a place and a number.
Like, yesterday, over there, I was in slumber.
First, I was tired, then I was woozy.
Next, I began feeling sleepy and snoozy.
They modify adverbs like, she sang quite nicely.
Or he speaks so swiftly but very precisely.
They modify verbs and adjectives,too,
Like, slowly he ate and she’s really blue.
Presently, pleasantly, properly praise.
Speedily, sometimes quite greedily graze.
Curiously, furiously strikingly strong,
Helplessly lost and hopelessly wrong.
Adverbs, you’ll find give the adjectives zip!
As in foolishly frisky and famously hip –
Bitterly angry, bitingly cold,
Brilliantly burgundy, shockingly old.
The adjective’s “good”, the adverb is “well”
.So now that you know that, you’re able to tell
That well’s how you felt, and good was your day
Yes, well is a very deep subject, I’d say!
Dearly, nearly, insincerely,
Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly,
Truly, deeply, sadly, badly,
I tell you these are adverbs, gladly.
And so are sleekly and uniquely,
Bravely, boldly, coldly, meekly.
Brightly, slightly, impolitely –
You’d say that these are adverbs, rightly.
So, what is an adverb? Do you know?
~by Brian P.Cleary

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home