Only a teacher?

Thank God I have a calling to the greatest profession of all!--Ivan Welton Fitzwater

Monday, September 18, 2006

Informal letter writing (by Ms Lam)

You have just heard that a relative of yours is in hospital for a minor operation. You have decided to write a letter intended to express your concern. You should:

Say how sorry you are
Ask about the patient’s well-being
Give some light-hearted news from home
Suggest a home-coming party
Promise a visit

Using all five points above, write a letter to your relative. You may add details of your own if you wish. Make sure that your English is correct and that the letter is cheerful.


Anne Ho
Block 6 Tanan Suria
#02-1234
Singapore 118205

25th August 2005

Dearest Uncle Thomas,

I returned from my holiday trip to Canada two days ago and am very sorry to learn that you have been admitted to the hospital for a minor knee operation. How are you feeling after the operation? I hope that your knee does not hurt so much anymore.

On a different note, I have a couple of light-hearted news from home that I cannot wait to share with you. First of all, do you know that our beloved little John has started crawling? When I came home that day, little John was so excited to see me carrying a bagful of presents, he stopped playing with his toys and hurried towards me. That was when all of us saw him taking his first step. His steps are not very steady yet but the whole family is simply thrilled by the prospect of John being able to finally walk on his own two feet! As I write, I can almost see a smile spreading across your face.

My brother has also passed his swimming examination. He is feeling very proud of himself and has been bragging to us about it. But really, it is quite a feat for him for someone who used to have a phobia for water. I still remember him wailing at the top of his voice when my father tried to make him dip himself in a 1.2 metre swimming pool! It is certainly your ceaseless encouragements that Bob was able to pluck up courage to attend swimming classes and eventually pass it. Mum and Dad used to complain that Bob listens to you alone. Dad wanted to have a swim with Bob the other day but Bob insisted that you must be the first person he swims with.

An old friend of Grandma is keen to venture into a mini pastry business and is persuading Grandma to join her as a business partner. If all goes well, Grandma would be selling pastries at the nearby Ang Mo Kio market soon.

There is simply so much more that the family and I want to tell you when you are discharged. Before I forget, the family wants me to let you know that there will be a home-coming party for you when you discharge next week. There will be lots of food and a karaoke session. We all know that staying in the hospital for two weeks must be a boring experience for you. Aunt May also believes the party will ward off all bad luck. For the rest of us, we cannot wait to welcome you home. Everyone misses you dearly.

That is all for now. Do take great care of yourself and have a good rest. I will drop by to pay you a visit pretty soon.

With Much Love,
Jass

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home