Only a teacher?

Thank God I have a calling to the greatest profession of all!--Ivan Welton Fitzwater

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Report Writing (Sec 2/3)

While you were playing a game at school, a friend of yours was badly hurt.
The principal has asked you to write a report describing what happened. You may include any other information which you think would be helpful.

when and where it happened
who was hurt and how
damage to clothing, property, equipment
what you and others felt and did
who, if anyone, was to blame

You should include any other information which you think would be helpful.


Sample 1: Joey Ngien (22/30)

Joey Ngien
Blk 420
Pasir Ris Drive 6
#02-67
Singapore 510420

Mdm Veronica Ng
Principal of Coral Secondary School
Block 319
Pasir Ris street 10
Singapore 510314



Report of an accident which took place in school

On Tuesday, 22 August 2006, John, Tommy, Jason and I were playing a game at school. At approximately 12 noon, I witnessed an accident taking place among the three students. I am writing this report to give you a clearer picture of what happened then.

The students were granted permission to venture around the canteen area once they had finished the work that was assigned to them. We were amongst the first to complete their work and decided to enjoy ourselves after a long, stressful period so we went to the fitness corner to play. Jason decided to challenge us to a game at the monkey bar. Whoever reached the end first will be the winner.

We readily agreed. We were so excited that we started the race the very next moment. John, who was too eager to win the race skipped over a bar. At this point, he lost his grip and fell off to the ground. He seemed to have broken his arm. He cringed his face.

The three of us were appalled and immediately lifted him up. Fortunately, one of the teachers, Mr Tan, came to help and I went to take the first aid set immediately. While Mr Tan was bandaging his arm, he realized that John’s arm was seriously injured so he took John to the nearby clinic for a check up. Luckily, it was not so serious after all. According to the doctor, John had to stay at home for about one to two months in order to have a speedy recovery.

We have realized our mistakes and promise not to play at the fitness corner again.

I hope that my statement would help you have a better understanding of the accident.



Joey Ngien

Teacher’s comments: Good effort, Joey! However, you have missed out on some points such as point 3 (the damage done). You may also want to describe point 4 in greater detail. Note your tenses.

Sample 2: Jenies Lim (22/30)


Jenies Lim
Blk 123
Pasir Ris street 35
#06-789
Singapore 510123

Mr Chin Kim Beng
Principal of Chungfu Secondary School
123 Paya Lebar Road
Singapore 088027


Report of an accident during a game played at school

On Monday, 21 August 2006, my friends and I were playing a game at school. At approximately three in the afternoon, my friends and I witnessed an incident of how one of our friends, Tom was badly injured. I am writing this report to give you a clearer picture of what happened then.

We were granted permission to play in the school premises. Three of my friends, John, Wayne and Tom decided to do some dangerous stunts. Unfortunately, during Tom’s turn, he was badly injured when he attempted to do a mid-air somersault.

His school uniform was soiled and one side of the sleeves was torn by the sharp point of the roses’ branches which were planted near where they were playing.

I felt sorry for him as I could feel how painful it must have been although I was not the victim. My other friends also realized that what they had done was wrong. They should not have performed dangerous stunts without thinking about the consequences. We helped Tom up and brought him to a bench to rest. Paul then brought some medicine.

In fact, all of us are to be blamed as Tom would not have gotten into this trouble if I had told them not to play there. The three boys should also have known that anything can happen if these stunts were done. Tom has accepted our aplogies.

I hope that my statement will help you have a better understanding of the incident.


Jenies

Teacher’s comments: Good effort, Jenies! This piece of report can be improved by (1) reporting in greater detail as well as with greater clarity how the whole accident happened
(2) talk about how both you and others felt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home